The Eco-scaping and Sustainable Urban Micro Farming (EcoSUMfarming) project is motivated by a simple objective to develop a simple, cheap, and replicable system for economically sustainable method of eco-farming / eco-gardening / eco-agriculture and eco-scaping in space restricted urban areas.
It includes court-yard organic-farming, vertical gardening, nursery development and management, eco-scaping of empty spaces and conservation work at the degrading public spaces around in the urban area.
Urban agriculture, urban farming, or urban gardening is also termed as the practice of cultivating, processing, and distributing food in or around urban areas. Urban and peri-urban agriculture is also the term used for animal husbandry, aquaculture, agroforestry, urban beekeeping, and horticulture.
Various concepts of ecological and sustainable urban micro-farming consists – Building-integrated agriculture, Ecological sanitation, Food-scaping, eco-scaping, Forest gardening, Green wall, Grow-bag, Grow-room, Guerrilla gardening, Intercultural garden, Market garden, Portable farm, Rooftop gardens, Sheet mulching, Underground farming, Urban horticulture, Urban forestry, Vertical farming, Window-farming, etc.
The notable outcomes include –
- to scale-up sustainable landscape management
- to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- to create some level of food, water, and energy security
- to provide varying levels of economic and social development
- to develop social networks and social movement on a shared ethos of nature and community holism
- to promote the culture of green spaces, restore, reuse and reduction through ecological waste management
- to contribute to water conservation, recharging and sanitation
- to undertake soil conservation and landslide prevention activities
- to promote eco-buildings, eco-structures and eco-constructions