“Apart from being a grass-root level community education, social work and sustainable development NGO, EduCARE India is also an institution for applied research and experiential learning for university students, graduates, recent graduates, post-graduates, and young professionals and provides opportunities for Academic Fieldwork and Research Internship.”
Academic Fieldwork and Research Internship
EduCARE India (with support of our affiliate, CIEEL – Centre for Inter-cultural Experiential Education and Learning, and access to knowledge resources of some govt offices, universities and other organisations in India) offers a 4– 24-week academic fieldwork and research internship opportunities to university students and development professionals.
The program is designed for students of various academic backgrounds who desire to have a real-world field experience and/or academic research for thesis as a part of their academic training.
Applicants must meet one or the other following requirements:
- enrolled in a university course of study,
- provide one letter of recommendation from people familiar with their professional, community service and/or academic work
The Academic Fieldwork and Research Internship program can be based at our current working 6 locations in India; but may be restricted to a particular location depending on limitation of positions and resources for particular dates.
About the Program: Academic Research Internship
In a 4 -24 week Academic / Research Internship program in India, each selected student will either be independent research leader or be part of a team that includes an experienced professional (an early career staff member from a partner NGO), or, that includes a student from any related Masters from an Indian university, and an experienced fellow (an early career staff member from a partner NGO of own culture).
Each team will be assigned a project (based on preferences) and will produce for the institute or/and the partner/host NGO to conduct a field academic / experiential research, or, research and develop a detailed project proposal on a particular theme, including a needs appraisal, an implementation plan, budget and cost-benefit analysis.
A considerable amount of time will be spent living in rural or urban areas served by the NGO, where the intern/team will be required to conduct a field academic research, or, identify gaps in existing responses to community / project needs and develop plans for responding to them. An additional time with the NGO may be arranged for those who need to meet a minimum internship requirement for their degree program.
During the 4-24 week program, professional development and training is offered in:
- Program Analysis; helps students develop the conceptual and practical skills needed for researching and developing a project proposal. Students may register for special topics aligned to their graduate course credits, if available. Professional development offers a series of more informal interactions online or in person with experienced professionals from the NGO / partner institutions, or/and government departments.
- Work with Established Partners; Our NGO and its affiliated program organisations have made sustainable development and humanitarian assistance as the focus of grass-root level work in few selected areas in India. Through various community welfare projects and applied research projects, our NGO has developed numerous (informal/formal) partnerships with numerous other NGOs, acadmic and research institutions, government offices, and community groups in the region.
Additionally, online/on-site hybrid certificate courses are available in:
- Socio-cultural studies – sociology, anthropology, history, arts
- Cross-Cultural Competency
- Gender rights and equality
- Healthcare Outreach
- Local Economy
- Poverty alleviation
- Education and life-skills
- Environmental Health
- Alternative and renewable energy
- Agriculture, Forestry and Wildlife
- Natural Resource Management
- Water Sanitation
- Solid Waste Management
Additional courses will be available in 2020-21.
The academic/experiential research program fee starts at an affordable self-sustainable cost of $720 USD for 1-month and $1770 for 6-months. This fee covers admin expenses, visa sponsor documentation and communications, public liability undertaking, legal support, trainings and certifications, local resource person expenses, work-place approved transportation, mobile sim card with internet data, workplace accommodation and cooked food / meals. The work-site accommodation, food, internet, and project related resources are provided at a marginal / discounted cost to the academic fieldwork and research interns, and is included in the fee. The orientation training, work/research guidance, and mentor-ship are provided for all interns. A placement in a high mountainous or coastal region near a beach resort may incur an additional monthly expenses of $90. Research internship in technical / chemical labs may incur an additional fee of $450. All interns will be responsible for paying their air transportation costs to and from the internship site in India and are urged to contact their appropriate school or departmental officials for information on available bursary support, scholarships or sponsorship.
Partnership: Academic Institutions and Universities
EduCARE India is continuously interested in developing and creating partnerships with International and Indian universities. We continuously work to create institutional networks to provide research possibilities such as study trips, bachelor, and master thesis as well as doctoral dissertations.
If you or your University is interested in a cooperation with our organisation please contact us at – [email protected]educare.in
Academic Research Internship Focus
The focus of academic/experiential research investigation is the assessment and description of global effects on individuals and communities towards personal, institutional and cross-cultural development and solutions. With a focus on interdisciplinary research levels and vary from ethics, spirituality, politics, society, psychology, health management, and culture. By means of research, related events and publications of global thinking and awareness will be emphasised to encourage the cultivation of sustainable development and peace.
Some of the Research Internship Fields
- Cultural Studies and Humanities: Intercultural Communication studies, Intercultural Psychology, International Peace & Conflict Studies,
- Trans-disciplinary Gender Issues
- Micro-finance, Micro-entrepreneurship and Poverty Alleviation
- Alternative Education and Informal Learning
- Management: Global Management, Organisation development, Cultural Management
- Tourism: Eco-Tourism and Sustainability, Environmental Tourism
- Health and Social sciences: Social Work, Nursing and Health Care Management
- Environmental Sciences: Renewable energies, Environmental studies, Ecology and Environmental Management
- Future Studies
- Public Healthcare and Community-based Preventive Healthcare
- Maternal Health and Childcare
- Any other related field of research
How to Apply?
To apply, please send a motivation letter with your resume to us at – [email protected], proposed research topic(s) and related questions. We will send you a detailed customised application form and further information.
Students will receive a final admissions decision from the program coordinator on a rolling basis. The program currently accepts a limited number of participants. Criteria for admission includes educational and professional background, motivation and leadership skills, relevance of the program to personal career goals, and overall commitment to participation in the program.
Selected research papers and articles will be published in the Journal for Inter-cultural Experiential Education and Learning (JiEEL). We are looking forward to your contribution. Please find more information and possible research topics here.